Thursday, March 17, 2011

Oh So Nearly ...

I know the question lurking uppermost in your mind this week is: “Did Mad Mom Zelda survive the onslaught of the 2011 Argus Pick n Pay Cycle Tour?”


Here are a few things I learnt from my time out on the road on Sunday:
1. Two bananas does not a breakfast make
2. Goo is not a viable replacement for real food – a peanut butter sandwich would probably be better (maybe even a banana?)
3. Factor 20 sun block does not protect my lily white skin (especially the 2 inches visible between the bottom of my long gym broeks and my secret socks)
4. The lighter your bike, the easier you wheel it when walking uphill
5. The Flying Custard (and my own voluptuous form) get heavier with every km

And now to cut to the chase: I started like a rocket, with the weather being perfect and feeling strong. I was still smiling at Ladies Mile bridge as I roared beneath our banner that welcomed the Chaeli Riders and did enthusiastic air pumping to Chaeli and the rest of my family shouting encouragement from atop the bridge. I made it to Lakeside in record time (for me!) and the smiles of the Terry family and a most welcome Energade. And here started my first (of many) designated walk – Boyes Drive. All went well for the next forever kilometres, stopping to drink, sucking on Goo sachets and living in the moment – focusing on one push of the hand cycle at a time. Even the baboons heading into Scarborough did not deter me and I raced towards Chappies full of the joys of another magical day in Africa. Then the loooooong energy-sapping walk up Chappies, with an invigorating swoop down into Hout Bay. It was wonderful to see Bruce Wright dance across the road in Hout Bay Village (complete with Jade on his hip) and I heeded his warning that I needed to make it to the next set of robots (just over the next hill - which seemed a long way off) in 5 minutes. He even offered to help push my worthy steed (which I was dragging along again, walking as fast as I could). Power walking with a multitude of huffs and puffs followed as I stomped towards the crest of the hill, hopped aboard the Flying Custard and ended up being the 2nd last person to make the cut off time at the bottom of Suikerbossie. I was exhausted but elated!

Suikerbossie is a very, very, very long hill. Having done my daring dash through the village I think I squeezed out the very last bit of energy I had remaining. My mind fogged up (I didn’t even think of popping one last Goo) and I tried to push and pull the FC from every angle (even ended up pushing from behind the seat and tried to get it uphill that way). I was literally drooling with effort and after what felt like forever I looked up to find at least another 800m before the bend in the road (and I knew there was yet more uphill to come) and that’s when the uncontrollable shaking and nausea started. I knew I probably had another 45 min/1hr left on the road and I’m afraid my resilience ran out. The bad news is that I did not get to finish the Argus Cycle Tour this year. The good news is that I completed 92km (10km more than last year) in 9 hrs and 10 min (the same time as last year) – so I see this as progress! I’m aiming to make it 3rd time lucky in 2012 …

A HUGE thank you to the many friends, family, colleagues and acquaintances who reached deep to support this marathon venture. Thank you for pledging support of my current insanity before I even took to the road and thank you for making a tangible difference by making sure that your pledge reached The Chaeli Campaign coffers. Our children who participate in the various programmes will benefit greatly from your generosity - please accept my humble thanks for making such a huge difference in their lives.

Me (on yet another designated walk) up Smitswinkel Bay ...

No comments:

Post a Comment