Monday, February 1, 2010

Oh the hills and dales ...

Hmm. So my arms DO work, they ARE strong, but when they have to multi-task at speed it gets a bit hairy. Changing gears, breaking and turning whilst trying to power your way around a corner going uphill - there's a trick that I'm constantly practising. Not so easy. But on the positive side - I AM moving. The slowest I have gone is 2km/hr (the disastrous killer hill on Firgrove Way just before you hit the circle on Ladies Mile Road) and the fastest I've clocked is 40km/hr (same hill going in the opposite direction - my much preferred option!).

Two weeks ago I started with a 5km ride and this Saturday I clocked my first 20km ride (with a 15km ride on Friday and Saturday). I'm getting there. I am consciously trying to get a few hills in without killing my start-up enthusiasm, so am opting for conquering bridges as opposed to 2km mountain uphills. The bridge on Roscommon Road has started featuring on my route and please keep in mind that I'm still wary of traffic and terrified to be on the road, with my wheels being so low and so wide.

All in all, I'm excited about the progress and I'm getting interesting comments from all kinds of spectators. The ones I fear the most are the large dogs who find me particularly interesting. They are on eyeball level with me and I find them pretty daunting. I keep hoping that their owners have them on a short leash and that I only meet them on a downhill ...

No comments:

Post a Comment